When Did You Become A Mason?

What made you a Mason?

Where were you first prepared to be made a Mason?

How were you prepared?

Probably like most of us, if not all of us, these questions made no sense to me as a new EA. Starting out, they just seemed like random questions that were a part of an ancient tradition. They had no real meaning to me.

Now, they actually make sense to me and, in various ways, have begun to form the way I think about Masonry and what it teaches me. Each of these questions are answered for the candidate, but in reality, these are questions that all of us should think about seriously.

It was the moment I took my obligation that I "became a Mason"; but was it? That's what I thought at least when I became an EA. I repeated some words and was introduced to my brethren. Wasn't that what made me a Mason?

It wasn't until quite a bit later that I realized the second question comes before the first chronologically. Where was I first prepared? This gave the first question a whole new meaning for me. It wasn't about the obligation. And, in actuality, it wasn't even about becoming a part of an international brotherhood. It was about the heart.

As good citizens, we obey the laws of the land. We treat others fair and we try and look out for our fellow man. We do what we do because it is morally right. But, if we had no desire inside to be good men, or in this sense "better men", then would it really matter to us if we had good morals? We would just be doing these things just to the extent of staying out of jail, or not getting caught.

In the same way, Masonry teaches some wonderful things - love your brother, help those in need, control your passions, etc. All of these are great things, but taking an obligation and becoming a Mason is just an action if you don't understand where you were first prepared.

The motto of Freemasonry is well-known, even to those who know very little about the Craft:

Making good men better men.

It is more than just a saying. How do you take a bad man and make him a better man? It can't be done. As the chaplain of our lodge put it so well, Only God can take a bad man and make him good. It is through the teaches of our faith and also the help of the Masonic lessons, that we are able to grow from good men into better men. To those who join Freemasonry for more than just the privilege of being called a Mason, and pay attention to what it teaches, to me, they will begin to discover the true "gold" in Freemasonry.

How were you prepared to be made a Mason? Do you understand why your were prepared the way you were? Confusion was a constant companion throughout my three degrees of Blue Lodge. In my head I knew everything had to connect somehow. Even though I didn't understand why certain things were done the way they were, I believed they were done for a reason. In time, I was able to look back and understand what it meant.

I was prepared in a way that taught me humility. As human beings, it becomes all too easy to think of ourselves to be better then others (because of our career, family name, etc.). Unfortunately, this is the basis of the race issue we've been dealing with for far too long. Pride, in its own right, is a good thing. It encourages us to look nice and work hard. But, if not controlled, it can cause damage.  Masonry regards no man for his worldy wealth or honour.

Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.

~ I Corinthians 10:12

Masonry helps us realize that no matter what your position in life, every one of us meet on the level. No brother is greater than another. You may never be Grand Master, but what about Steward or Lodge Education Officer in your local lodge. If there is no "official" chair that needs filled, remember that the seats on the sidelines are just as important.










In Closing

As you progress through your Masonic journey, whether you are the newest EA in the northeast corner or the eldest Past Master in your lodge, think about what is said in Opening, Closing and Degree Work.

It is understandable that there are many who, because of family or work obligations, cannot be active in their local lodge. But, for those who no longer regularly attend their lodge because they aren't getting anything out of it, take time to think about what is said in lodge. It's easy to think of it as just a bunch of words said in an old ritual that doesn't fit into our daily lives.

If we can began to understand why certain things are said and done, then it's at that point that Masonry impacts us at a deeper level than just memorizing ritual or enjoying fellowship with our brothers.

These three questions are just an example of the many indepth teachings that Masonry has which can help us as good men become better men.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ye Olde Cup & Ball Lodge U.D.

Nevada Masonic Lodge No. 4

Happy Holidays from Perry Lodge