My Story: Bro. Rik Linebaugh

My masonic story starts Back in the 90s. I was recently divorced and looking for a new direction in life. I was bar tending at a local bar in Youngstown and saw a Masonic ring on a friend’s finger. I thought, what a cool ring! I had seen Masonic emblems on cars before and inquired what they were for. He told me he could not give me details but if he ever saw a person on the side of the road that had an emblem on his car, that he would stop and render aid. I said like AAA huh! He laughed and said “Yeah kinda”. I asked him what it took to become a Mason to which he replied, “You have already taken the first step”. I had no idea what that meant. I was introduced to yet another Mason which was also a regular at the bar and received a petition which they both had signed. It was a petition for Argus Lodge #545. I knew another Brother from Argus and asked him about things, thinking that since we worked together once and went to school together that he would surely tell me. All he said was to fill out the petition and send in the dues and he would see me thru the next steps. I am not sure exactly why I did not follow thru, whether it was time, money or the unknown but I had regretted it for some time. Thru the years I had thought about that petition from time to time and wished I had joined.

Fast-forward to 3 years ago. While attending some council meetings in a city I had recently moved to with my family, I befriended yet another Mason who had known some of my family for quite some time. This sparked my interest in Masonry yet again to which I asked the proverbial question a second time, “what does it take to become a Mason”, to which he answered, “You just took the first step”. I was then presented a petition a few days later for Allen Lodge #276 in Columbiana, Ohio. I thought to myself that I would follow thru this time.

I soon learned of other friends who were in the fraternity and one of them had plans for me! I learned from the start, at the investigation, that Freemasonry was the direction I had been missing in my life. My family were regulars at church, active in the community and my wife and I were becoming philanthropists. I wanted to serve the community, and this was a huge resource that had endless opportunities. I met some genuinely nice people so far and freemasonry had made an impression on me.

With the help of my mentor and friend Bro. Richard Simpson, we studied a few nights a week and I returned my Exams in 2 weeks each time. I was ready to be the candidate for a special multi lodge Master Mason degree at Negley Lodge #565. After my raising I had stepped in to fill a void at Jr. Steward and helped my Lodge wherever I could. I learned a lot in a short amount of time and was never told anything discouraging. The more I learned, the more I wanted to learn. It was not long until I started “using” the working tools of freemasonry to improve myself.

One of the most important things I have learned is the value of work. The more I put into something, the more it rewards me. The more quality I put in the better the outcome. The more knowledge obtained the better the understanding. This Philosophy alone has helped me move up the line quickly. It has also taught me the value of other people that have helped me progress in masonry.

I was featured as a “Monday Mason” by the Grand Lodge and asked what Freemasonry meant to me. I responded with one word, “Opportunity”. Masonry gives us all the opportunity to meet, converse and interact with people we would never have had the opportunity to do so in a regular environment. It does not matter the occupation, intelligence or status of a brother in Lodge, we meet on the same level. To me, this is a valuable resource to gain knowledge and improve myself by the interaction alone. When does a shop foreman working for a steel company get to pick the brain of a doctor or a mechanic have the opportunity to gain self-improvement from conversing with a lawyer on a regular basis, a postal carrier and a company CEO, Etc. and not even know the person? It is rare outside of the fraternity.

I have been fortunate to meet many Masons from different states. I had the pleasure of attending a multi lodge raising of myself by masters in the 24 th district as well as a multi-state Grand Lodge conferral of degrees in Indianapolis. Freemasonry is an “opportunity” to improve one’s self simply by the fellowship of brothers in a worldwide fraternity and gain lifelong friends along the way. Brothers, a word that means so much more when you apply “opportunity” and is why I cannot wait to see what lies ahead for me in Freemasonry… The ring is pretty cool too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ye Olde Cup & Ball Lodge U.D.

Nevada Masonic Lodge No. 4

Happy Holidays from Perry Lodge